Spinal Cord Injuries and Disorders System of Care
All Veterans with a spinal cord injury or disorder (SCI/D) should have an SCI/D Annual Evaluation at a VA SCI/D Center. The SCI/D Annual Evaluation is important because it helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle and maximizes your independence. If you don’t live near an SCI/D Center, your local SCI/D team can help make a referral to a Center.
An SCI/D Annual Evaluation at one of our SCI/D Centers covers much more than a standard checkup. We provide a comprehensive SCI/D-related evaluation and help you make plans for staying healthy in the future.
What’s covered in our SCI/D Annual Evaluation?SCI/D Annual Evaluations include:
- A Comprehensive medical and physical examination, including a thorough neurological exam
- Health maintenance and disease prevention. This might include vaccinations, blood pressure monitoring, blood glucose monitoring, lipid monitoring, and lab and diagnostic tests
- An assessment for functional changes and for equipment replacement needs
- An assessment of any psychological, social, or vocational needs
- A review of medications and supplies
- Additional services or referrals needed and planned
- A discussion of new programming or events
- A talk with your team about results and plan for follow-up